I am an Ambizione research fellow and a research group leader at ETH Zurich, where I lead the Privacy Preserving Systems Lab. My research focuses on data privacy, applied cryptography, and systems. I completed my Ph.D. in Computer Science at ETH Zurich. Upon graduating, I spent two wonderful years as a postdoc at UC Berkeley. For more information on my current research, please visit the PPS research lab page. Outside of research, I enjoy (cycling) and (open water swimming).
Research Group (photo):
Current Doctoral Students
- Alexander Viand
- Nicolas Küchler
- Hidde Lycklama
Current Master’s and Undergraduate Students
- Christian Knabenhans
- Emanuel Opel
- Lena Csomor
- Clément Thorens
Former Doctoral Students
- Lukas Burkhalter (🏅 Microsoft Research Ph.D. Award)
- Thesis: Privacy-Centric Systems for Stream Data Processing
- Committee: Anwar Hithnawi (ETH), Kenny Paterson (ETH), Peter Druschel (MPI-SWS), Srdjan Capkun (ETH)
Former Master’s and Undergraduate Students
- Miro Haller (→ Ph.D. student at UCSD)
- Marko Mihajlovic (→ Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich)
- Patrick Jattke (→ Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich)
- Nicolas Küchler (→ Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich)
- Hidde Lycklama (→ Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich)
- Liangcheng Yu (→ Ph.D. student at the University of Pennsylvania)
- Lukas Burkhalter - 🏅 ETH Medal (→ Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich)
- Su Li (→ Ph.D. student at EPFL)
- Vaibhav Kulkarni (→ Ph.D. student at the University of Lausanne)
- Yonathan Fisseha (→ Ph.D. student at the University of Michigan)
- Matthias Lei (→ Senior Consultant at Innovation Process Technology)
- Dominic Plangger (→ Lead Engineer at xorlab)
- Michel Kaporin (→ Software Engineer at ti&m)
Honors & Awards:
- Google-Initiated Research Award
- Rising Stars in EECS 2021.
- Facebook Research Award.
- Semiconductor Research Corporation Grant.
- ETH Research Grant.
- SNF Ambizione Grant.
- SNF Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Google Anita Borg Scholarship.
- DAAD Scholarship for Master's Studies.
- Birzeit University Merit Scholarship.
Selected Recent Invited Talks:
- Useable Fully Homomorphic Encryption: Opportunities & Challenges. Intel Labs. [Slides]
- Security and Robustness of Collaborative Learning Systems. FLOW Research Seminar, MBZUAI Workshop on CL. [Slides, Video]
- Systems Designs for End-to-End Privacy. Meta Labs, Columbia University, CISPA, Max Planck. [Slides]
- Cryptographic Enforcement of End-to-End Data Privacy. Brown University, Birzeit University, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Compiler Design for Fully Homomorphic Encryption. Intel's Crypto Frontier Center.
- Encrypted Data Stream Processing at Scale. Intel, VMware, UC Berkeley.
- Decentralized Authorization and Access Control for Encrypted Data Streams. UC Berkeley.