I am an Ambizione Fellow (Principal Investigator) at the Department of Computer Science at ETH Zurich, where I lead the Privacy Preserving Systems Lab. My research focuses on data privacy, applied cryptography, and systems. I completed my Ph.D. in Computer Science at ETH Zurich. Upon graduating, I spent two wonderful years as a postdoc at UC Berkeley. For more information on my current research, please visit the PPS research lab page. Outside of research, I enjoy cycling and swimming.
Current Doctoral Students
- Nicolas Küchler
- Hidde Lycklama
Current Master’s and Undergraduate Students
- Emanuel Opel
- Isha Gupta
- Yu-Shan Wei
Former Doctoral Students
- Alexander Viand ( → Cryptography Researcher at Intel Labs)
- Thesis: Useable Fully Homomorphic Encryption
- Committee: Anwar Hithnawi (ETH), Kenny Paterson (ETH), Raluca Ada Popa (UC Berkeley)
- Lukas Burkhalter [🏅 Microsoft Research Ph.D. Award] ( → Cryptography Engineer at Proton)
- Thesis: Privacy-Centric Systems for Stream Data Processing
- Committee: Anwar Hithnawi (ETH), Kenny Paterson (ETH), Peter Druschel (MPI-SWS), Srdjan Capkun (ETH)
Former Master’s and Undergraduate Students
- Christian Knabenhans (→ Ph.D. student at EPFL)
- Miro Haller (→ Ph.D. student at UCSD)
- Marko Mihajlovic (→ Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich)
- Patrick Jattke (→ Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich)
- Nicolas Küchler (→ Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich)
- Hidde Lycklama (→ Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich)
- Liangcheng Yu (→ Ph.D. student at the University of Pennsylvania)
- Lukas Burkhalter - [🏅 ETH Medal for Outstanding Master Thesis] (→ Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich)
- Su Li (→ Ph.D. student at EPFL)
- Vaibhav Kulkarni (→ Ph.D. student at the University of Lausanne)
- Yonathan Fisseha (→ Ph.D. student at the University of Michigan)
- Lena Csomor (→ CS High School Teacher at Kantonsschule Zurcher)
- Matthias Lei (→ Senior Consultant at Innovation Process Technology)
- Dominic Plangger (→ Lead Engineer at xorlab)
- Michel Kaporin (→ Software Engineer at ti&m)
- Clément Thorens (→ Software Engineer at Huawei Zurich Research Center)
Selected Honors & Awards:
- Google Research Award.
- Rising Stars in EECS.
- Facebook Research Award.
- Semiconductor Research Corporation Grant.
- ETH Research Grant.
- SNF Ambizione Grant.
- SNF Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Google Anita Borg Scholarship.
- DAAD Scholarship for Master's Studies.
Selected Recent Invited Talks:
- Upcoming Holding Secrets Accountable: Auditing Private ML Algorithms. Mapping and Governing the Online World Conference.
- Useable Fully Homomorphic Encryption: Challenges & Opportunities. Intel Labs. [Slides]
- Security and Robustness of Collaborative Learning Systems. FLOW Research Seminar, MBZUAI Workshop on CL, University St.Gallen CS Research Seminar, ZISC Seminar, UC Berkeley, MLSys Workshop on Decentralized and Collaborative Learning. [Slides, Video]
- Systems Designs for End-to-End Privacy. Meta Labs, Columbia University, CISPA, Max Planck. [Slides]
- Cryptographic Enforcement of End-to-End Data Privacy. Brown University, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Compiler Design for Fully Homomorphic Encryption. Intel's Crypto Frontier Center.
- Encrypted Data Stream Processing at Scale. Intel, VMware, UC Berkeley.
- Decentralized Authorization and Access Control for Encrypted Data Streams. UC Berkeley.